Thursday 12 May 2011

MY Dad

today is a big day for many and I wish them all well and hope they have a wonderful day. I /we do have a important day today It was when Selwyn Joseph Shute fianal was released from all of his mental and physical pain From 10 years of suffering the torments of physical illness compounded by metal torment of dementure and altzeimers He was a proud working man with some great history which he kept to himself .Worked for others through many causes like RBL awarded lift time medal for his work. We all had some part of it. But let me say that his last years would be called torture and it we treated an animal like it we would be jailed for abuse at the minimum. Sorry for the down there but I will and please you!!! celebrate his life and works to all. A drink to life and respect for what he did and all. This year he would be 100 years old Well there’s a party So lets live it for him and all You all have a great day night or what ever I raise my glass With Me as on the Going Down of the Sun We Will Remember XXX ;o) XXX

Post from my Sister ( Thanks Viv )
Cheers Dad:) You always called me Harriott, Jerminia or Tullulah when you were having fun. Our time together was delivering the orders, we would zig zag around Mumbles, a run out to Bishopston, a quick jaunt down the Gower. Always working, our early lives revolved around the shop, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter punctuated by carnivals, turkeys (always remember when you sold our Xmas Turkey - but you managed to track one down) Easter Eggs, thickly sliced bacon, warm ham on the bone, a slice of tongue and a chunk of fresh cheddar cheese, fresh bread rolls, 'door stop' slices of cherry cake:) But he was the only one who like 'tripe' couldnt stand the stuff but he enjoyed it. Cockles, musseles, crabs & lobsters, being allowed to experience the delights of a variety of foods, gathering, cooking and selling. I did enjoy gathering cockles but the novalty of 'shelling' makes my fingers 'sting', as for boiling the beetroot and then skinning them when they were cool brings me out in a smile as my hands were stained for days, so was my face as I love them (I still do). On a Tuesday night it was boning, stuffing, creating the crackling on a rather large piece of pork. Mum would be ironing and we would pick off the bits that fell off, but surprisingly you never said anything when slices were missing, but I guess you helped yourself too:) You taught me to drive in the old Bedford Van, driving around Caswell and Langland Bay Car Park and then reversing around the tree in the Mumbles British Legion Car Park - which seemed to be a familly tradition. I have lots of happy memories of Wednesday afternoon visits to Dan-yr-ogf Caves, St Fagans, leap frogging along the sea front:) You were getting on then and still leap frogging when you were in your early 60's was quite an accomplishment:) I could say lots more but choose to remember you and mum, walking down the road towards the sea, together hand in hand, smiles on your faces, the wind in your hair xxx viv xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment